Smells! Oh the joy of scent. It has the potential to change your mood in a couple of minutes.
So on the approach to Christmas with so much to do, I decided today to close up the house and light candles, burn my Palo Santo stick and put a few drops on incense on my pillow. But yes, not all at once! Haha.
Our sense of smell can flip a worried mind on its head... so to speak!
Here's a couple of ideas for your home over the Christmas break:
1. Candles - small ones, big ones. Light them and begin to feel yourself unwind. Put one in the bathroom and run a relaxing bath, maybe place one beside your bed and create a little oasis with a great book. Tuck yourself in early and call it a night. Current favourites are Fig and Fennel and Maison Balzac. So good!
2. Palo Santo - I was given a stick of this at my very cute boutique up the road, Cherry Blossom. Its lovely to burn for a bit, blow out the flame and then inhale the scent of what I call "a walk in the forest". Its so gorgeous and very chilling.
3. Incense - my absolute favourite is Bodha Modern Wellness. They make smokeless incense sticks and you can choose from: Ground, Calm and Relax. They are TO DIE FOR.
4. Essential Oils - I like Doterra and the Perfect Potion. With oils I like to blend a few oils, and pop it in my diffuser or a few drops on my pillow or ... yes but wait there's more .... on the soles of your feet. Yup! Really.
5. Fragrant Oils - my absolute favourite are the offerings from Ayu. Check them out, they are divine and have their roots in Ayurveda. Warning, they are so good you might not ever buy another commercial perfume. Oh and another warning, you will have so many compliments that you'll feel more beautiful than you already are!
Hope you enjoyed this! Use your sense of smell, and relax.
Follow your own path.
Listen to your heart.
You need your heart to follow your path.
Your path is unique. But it takes time, trust, and surrendering to feel into it.
If you like Gardenias and coffee you might like this idea. I'm kind of just pulling apart your loves in a gentle way to show you how you can take what you love and show you how it can be a living practice. So, if you love this flower and you also enjoy your coffee, you might like to take yourself to the Botanical Gardens for a little excursion. Maybe you might buy a coffee on the way (keep cup please!) or prepare one from home and take that with you. Find your flowers, take a seat. Smell and soak in the scent of the flower, with your eyes look at the beauty contained in it, perhaps if its okay touch the petals (gently) and drink in it all. Enjoy the taste of your coffee, smell it too. And take a moment to enJOY. Consider setting an intention, or maybe read a poem, or say a little prayer. Perhaps offer up some gratitude for the opportunity to do this little sweet Bhakti Yoga.
In Melbourne this weekend I went to South Melbourne Market. I was so excited to go here and it was FAB. The smell, the noise of growers and makers talking about their wares, the small sweet Barista specialising in drip coffee made me so happy. Do what you love!!! These people are offering up the most delicious goods, fresh pastries, the most divine offerings from their hearts and I felt it in mine.
Here's a practice for you. Remember that it takes time and practice to listen to your heart.
Choose a candle or some incense.
Take a flower or crystal in the palm of your hand.
Find a comfortable cushion to sit on.
Let the back of your hands rest in your lap & close your eyes.
Slowly, softly begin to listen to the rhythm of your breath.
Relax your body, soften your lips and your ears.
Taking your time, bring your awareness to your heart.
Be here for a few minutes.
In time, slowly lift your flower or crystal to your heart.
Set an intention or say a little prayer, to follow your hearts wisdom.
Gently relax your head toward your heart,
and open your eyes.
Place your crystal or flower somewhere in your home or on your desk, so you will see it. And each day repeat your intention or prayer, to listen and follow your heart.
From Nayyirah Waheed:
You will find your way. It is in the same place as your heart.
Let me know how you go!